Friday, May 31, 2013

Jon Acuff Liked My Shirt.

Ok ok ok. If you follow me on twitter, or you're my friend on facebook, you know I am a total fan girl of Jon Acuff's. His books are awesome. His blogs are great. He's a funny dude. He is all about closing the gap from your day job to your dream job. He is all about making your life awesome and not just average.

Well, he has a "5club"...where a bunch of dream chasers get up before morning radio show hosts everywhere, and gather, connect, and learn.

Today was my first 5club meeting, and I was so excited that I didn't even feel tired! (Ok, maybe the gas station coffee helped, too.) 



Today's lesson was learning how to fight for your dream. What to do when you get push back. I won't go into detail, because if you really want to know more you should ask me, or go buy all of Jon's books and read his blog. Like now. But here are a few lessons that I personally need to remember:

  • Don't win fights that don't matter
  • Fight with facts
  • Don't fight haters

What I love is how he breaks up how to achieve your dreams into tiny little digestible morsels. You never feel overwhelmed.

Did I mention this guy is hilarious? I literally laughed out loud several times while reading his books. 

I found these particular quotes particularly amusing this morning. Was it because I was running on 4 hours of sleep? Well, maaaaaaaybe...but still. These were serious LOL moments!

"We have an agenda. That's pretty fancy. A lot of people don't have those." -at the start of the meeting

"When ending fights I just thought you had to apologize a lot, and I don't know, say 'Jesus' or something."

"We didn't have a 'don't steal from church' envelope. I looked." -talking about a business deal gone terribly wrong

"The book was coming out around 4/20. They thought a green cover would be kind of....earthy. Like Earth Day....and maybe a lot of pot." -talking about small fights when it came to his book



He is really the first motivational-type of speaker who has kept my attention. I didn't read his book and then forget about him. I didn't follow him on twitter and then think "OMG he posts too much stupid crap." I bought more books. I read his tweets. I read every blog post. He is engaging and entertaining.

He also has the same type of humor as Brett. They even say "orange" the same way!

He encouraged us to brag on ourselves. If we chose to, we could tell everyone something awesome that happened. I shared my success with my first conference. I had so many people come up afterwards and say "congrats!" It was great to be encouraged by others, and to encourage others, as well.

Of course there was another huge win. He asked a question, I gave my answer, and after I did, he said, "I love your shirt by the way!" 

All of the happy!!


I think this is the only time anyone has ever liked anything from JC Penney. 

Anyway, it was a great couple of hours. I got to listen to Jon, talk with Jon, and meet some interesting people who are just like me in a totally different way.

If you are interested in the 5club, ask me about it! 

As always, thanks for reading! I'm going to go take a nap for lunch! :)




1 comment:

  1. Found you in the 5 Club Group, and here you are blogging about meeting Jon. Love the book, and I am enjoying the opportunity to meet others who have read it and are applying the principles he so awesomely shares in Start.

    I am discovering how important it is to find that supportive environment and create (start) something for ourselves. It feels incredible to be in a room of 30+ people who believe the same things, or at least have a similar mindset. I have no idea how many people attended this 5club meeting, but I have recently been creating something locally that is similar (just not at 5 am!)

    Bragging about myself, well, that one's tough. It's great when someone is asking me to, I can do that exercise, but I admit, I struggle with this. I personally get turned off when people just brag... so I have to find a way to get out of my comfort zone and do some bragging!

    Thanks for sharing, your energy and enthusiasm would be contagious if I didn't already feel as giddy as you about this book and being awesome!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete